Tuesday, September 06, 2016

September 6 - Mountain Song

My good friend Sissel brought a wealth of new music when she returned from a year stateside in 1990. One of the bands she introduced me to was Jane's Addiction. Led by the very dynamic duo of Perry Farrell on vocals and Dave Navarro on guitar, the classic lineup was completed by Stephen Perkins on drums and Eric Avery on bass. Their first album was a fairly eclectic live recording with lots of acoustic guitars an percussion, but when they went into a proper recording studio for their second album, things really took off.

I've never been one for the night life and clubs and discos (they were popular as I hit legal drinking age - although I still didn't drink). However, I loved Studentersamfundet in Trondheim. Their main stage was the place for several of my most memorable concerts, including my first Motorpsycho concert, but in the basement they had the Bodega, which often played more alternative music than most clubs. That's where I first heard Eric Avery's rolling bass riff before it is shattered by the rest of the band coming in together. Mountain Song truly socked me in the gut - and it still does. After this, Nothing's Shocking.


No comments: