Wednesday, October 12, 2016

October 12 - Radioactive Toy

There are some songs that just find their way to your mind and stick. Sometimes, that's really bad - when you just can't seem to shake a song you really don't like (Motorpsycho called those songs nerve tattoos, which to me really is a good description of it). However, sometimes those songs are the "ins" to an otherwise great album that it just takes a little while to get into. For me, Porcupine Tree's On The Sunday Of Life is an example of that kind of an album. After the intro, Music For The Head, the next song is Jupiter Island, and while it is an ok song, it's naiveté and cheesy drum machine sound is a little too much for me to really get hooked. So on my first listen to this album, I had it on in the background, and it was largely ignored until I reached the 8th track, and at that point, something really clicked. The song was Radioactive Toy, and it has a soothing quality that gets broken up by a rather noisy guitar riff - and for those of you who have been reading what I have to say about music and what I look for, you will recognize this as my need for contrast that I so often come back to.


No comments: