Sunday, October 23, 2016

October 23 - Eat That Question

So we're at the end of a week of instrumental, and today's song is another of my many favorites. Frank Zappa has a multitude of releases to his name, and today, nearly 23 years after his death, more releases keep coming. However, back in the fall of 1991, when my cd collection was in its infancy (I had purchased my first CD player in January that year), I visited Bakklandet Bokkafe, a record store in Bakklandet, which is a quaint and historic part of Trondheim. I remember the visit because I left with no less than two Frank Zappa CDs: Jazz From Hell and Make A Jazz Noise Here. The former was played once, then shelved (it is a difficult CD to listen to, but I am finally getting there after about 25 years), but I loved Make A Jazz Noise Here. It was a live album from the 1988 tour, the final tour Frank Zappa ever did - and what a tour it must have been if you judge it by the live documents released so far. And in the midst of this double album there was a snippet of a tune - mainly the theme from Eat That Question (it is also now the title for a documentary about Frank Zappa using tv interviews from his entire career - check it out!). Eat That Question was originally on 1972's album The Grand Wazoo and features keyboard maestro George Duke in a very prominent role.


No comments: