Friday, October 21, 2016

October 21 - Soul Sacrifice

1969. 3 days of peace and music. 400,000 people on Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, New York. A lasting legacy. The Woodstock Festival.

I remember hearing about it without really understanding the impact it had - but NRK, the Norwegian  National Broadcaster, showed Michael Wadleigh's Oscar winning documentary (edited by one Martin Scorsese) as nattkino (midnight movie) sometime in the 80s. we were going to be gone that day, so I set the timer for the VCR. What I didn't expect was that I ended up watching at least part of it with my mom and aunt Anicken. My dad and my uncle Arne might also have been in the room, and it's very likely that my cousin Stein was there as well, but I remember talking about it and both the musical and cultural impact with my mom and Anicken.

I was waiting to see Hendrix play the Star Spangled Banner when Carlos Santana showed up with his band and blew me away with Soul Sacrifice. The music of Woodstock blew me away then - and keeps blowing me away still.


No comments: