Saturday, October 29, 2016

October 29 - We Are Finding Who We Are

I still remember when Jan Are told me to listen to a new album by a band called King's X. The album was Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, the year was right around 1989, and I would be very surprised if that isn't still one of the cornerstone in his musical taste. I was a little slower on the uptake, but when they released their next album, Faith, Hope, Love the year after (1990), I was hooked. And it really was the opening track that blew my mind. We Are Finding Who We Are features glorious three part harmony to open it up, and it get's better from there. That's what happens when you put three guys who aren't just great instrumentalists, but great singers and songwriters together and let them loose. Doug Pinnick is the main lead vocalist and bassist, Jerry Gaskill plays drums, and Ty Tabor plays guitars - but, like I said initially, all three of them sing lead vocals, and that really strengthens them as a band. They can trace their beginnings back to 1979, and while Gaskill has had a couple of heart attacks in the more recent years, they still toured as late as last year - and still with the same three members. That is dedication - and longevity. We Are Finding Who We Are can hopefully show you a little bit about who they are as a band - it's a great song from a great album!


No comments: