Tuesday, October 25, 2016

October 25 - Third Stone From The Sun

I think this week is the week of power trios. I have some that might surprise you - and some I simply cannot escape. The Jimi Hendrix Experience featured Jimi Hendrix of Seattle, Washington on guitar, vocals, and creative genious, Mitch Mitchell on drums, and Noel Redding on bass guitar, and it's impossible to talk about power trios without talking about them. The song I picked today was one I came to in a different fashion, as I discovered it in a bass solo by Jaco Pastorius when I was investigating his work with both Weather Report and Joni Mitchell. However, the original is a spectacular psychedelic excursion. Please enjoy Third Stone From The Sun from The Jimi Hendrix Experience's debut album, Are You Experienced? from 1967.



And here is the genious Jaco Pastorius... His bass solo here is one of my favorite pieces for bass guitar ever. Watch the brilliant documentary Jaco for more about this tortured genious.


No comments: