Saturday, October 22, 2016

October 22 - Bourée

I'll stay in the sixties for yet another day. This time, the song is a direct inspiration from my dad, who is the one who kept talking of Jethro Tull. He had one of their albums, Benefit, which had an interesting cover, but musically didn't connect with me, at least not when I was younger. But there was one track he kept on talking about, and it almost reached mythical proportions with me. The chances of a let down were massive, but the track actually surpassed my expectations.

Bourée was based on a composition by Johann Sebastian Bach, but it soon takes a very Jazz inspired turn into severe prog territory. Ian Anderson's flute is all over, as is Glenn Cornick on bass guitar. Martin Barre plays the guitar and Clive Bunker on drums rounds out the iteration of Jethro Tull that recorded Stand Up in 1969. Bourée is a remarkable instrumental, well worth listening to again and again.


No comments: