Wednesday, October 26, 2016

October 26 - Bridge Of Sighs

I knew nothing about Robin Trower when I purchased Opeth's brilliant 2008 album Watershed. However, on the accompanying DVD with some additional tracks, there were a couple of cover versions that really resonated with me. The first was Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower, and the second was Den Ständiga Resan by Marie Fredriksson, better known as half of the power pop duo Roxette. I knew Den Ständiga Resan very well ever since I was turned on to the album of the same name by some Swedish friends (I believe Mats Gunnarson was the one who tipped me off) - and it is a great song from a great album.

But Bridge of Sighs... I don't know what to say about it. Opeth does a good version, but I needed more. So I ordered the Robin Trower cd by the same name from 1974, and man, can he play. Then I discovered that this indeed was a power trio of the good old kind. Robin Trower plays guitar in front of James Dewar, who sings and plays bass and Reg Isidore on drums. I love the guitar tone he has - and the way he expresses it throughout the song - but the way James Dewar fills the airy space left by the guitar really elevates the song. Reg Isidore's drums keep it all together - this song still sends shivers down my spine...


No comments: