Tuesday, October 04, 2016

October 4 - Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)

So the year was 1993, and while music in the United States was really driven by the grungy Seattle sound, the Brits were going in different directions. I believe US3 was one of the first acid jazz bands to gain a broad audience - although when I look at their Wikipedia page today, I see them referred to as jazz-rap. While bands like The Brand New Heavies and artists like Jamiroquai also were at the forefront of this movement, nothing quite caught my attention like US3 and their album Hand On The Torch - but even more so, the song Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia). US3 took a Herbie Hancock riff (from Cantaloupe Island) and built a new song around it - and what a song it is. This one gets me in a good mood every time...


No comments: