Friday, October 07, 2016

October 7 - Where It's At

There is a little bit of a stretch from yesterday's song Portishead to today's Beck song, but they both have a very loose quality to them, which really is what I was looking for stretching all the way back to US3 from Tuesday. Where It's At is the highlight of Beck's fifth album, Odelay, released in 1996. Beck Hansen sang himself straight to my heart with Loser from 1994's Mellow Gold, a song with stream-of-consciousness lyrics that made little to no sense, but all in all sounded really cool. I didn't explore Odelay until later, following Beck's return to my consciousness with his 1999 album Midnight Vultures - but when I heard Where It's At, I immediately loved it. The looseness of the Fender Rhodes electric piano riff sets the tone for an exercise in being laid back. This is cool. This is COOL!


No comments: