Sunday, December 11, 2016

December 11 - Blind Willie McTell

Bob Dylan just won the Nobel prize in literature, and his song Blind Willie McTell was an outtake from Infidels from 1983, which was produced by Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits. Now, I am not one of Dylan's superfans, but I eventually arrived at a place where I even like his singing on some of his music. I used to say that he was one of the world's greatest songwriters, but that he should leave the singing to others.

Now, Blind Willie McTell was a song I heard about long before I heard it. It was finally released in 1991 on Bootleg Series Vol 1-3, the first in a long series of releases with outtakes and live recordings. In my days at Radio Ung, I had at least two significant Dylan fans in Svein Ola and Leif Roger, and I believe they were the ones who talked about Blind Willie McTell with reverence. When it finally was released, I believe Leif Roger played it for me, and while I did appreciate it, I didn't quite see the greatness. However, that is now rectified, and I truly love this brilliant song - and I hope you will like it too!

The question today is as follows: Bob Dylan had a backing band that also performed on their own. One of Dylan's songs ended up being first recorded by this band as the last track on their debut album. I want the name of the band, the album, the song, the year, and I want to know what the title of their final concert was.


Bob Dylan & Mark Knofler- Blind Willie McTell (Acoustic version) from Abhilash Baruah on Vimeo.

No comments: