Sunday, December 04, 2016

December 4 - Green Manalishi

Now I first heard Judas Priest's version of The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown) on their Unleashed In The East album, that Jan Are had on tape. It was originally found on the album Hell Bent For Leather from 1979 (the US version of their album Killing Machine, which didn't include the song). I think this live version from 1982 is a great example of what Judas Priest could do - and it showcases Rob Halford's stage presence as well.

Now, speaking of cover versions... I do realize that this is an easy way to find connections between bands, but I still think it works, so I am about to do it again. This time, I am looking for a Judas Priest song that was covered by one of the "big four" thrash bands of the 80s. This band has a foreign born drummer, and I have to admit that I actually prefer their version to the Judas Priest version of the song. So... Who is this drummer, what is the band, what is the song, and what album and year? Too easy? Maybe... If you find it difficult, please don't worry... We will depart metal soon...


No comments: