Monday, December 19, 2016

December 19 - Birdland

The link was Alex Acuña, who provided percussion on the song Famine from Opeth's Heritage album. He also played drums in Weather Report, and he was the drummer on their 1977 album Heavy Weather, which featured the massive hit Birdland. I had the opportunity to play bass on an arrangement of that as part of a medley when I played in Breidablikk Skolekorps - the band for a school I never went to, but where a neighbor was the director/conductor. I have some regrets about that time - mainly about a lack of commitment. I really wish I had committed more - they were really a great group of people and I had a very good time there. But I got a chance to play Birdland, and I still remember the part. It's pretty much the only part I know by heart - although I hadn't heard the song much yet at that time. That came later. But I enjoyed my time in this school band - even though I do wish I had been more committed.

I will make this next question easy - because the man whose bass parts I had to play was such a great man. Obviously, my bass parts were simplified versions of what he played. But I want to know his name. I also want to know what great folk singer he played with when this folk singer turned to jazz. And they released a live album that also was a televised concert. What was the name of this album, what year did it come out, and what was the name of the opening track (after the introduction)?


No comments: