Friday, December 23, 2016

December 23 - Kashmir

I knew it would be easy. The guitarist was of course Jimmy Page, the band was Led Zeppelin, and the song was Kashmir from Physical Graffiti (1975). I love this song - the riff draws me in fully every time, it is one of the all time greatest rock riffs in my opinion. And while Jimmy Page shines here, it is the arrangement work of John Paul Jones that is the star in my opinion. I believe he is one of the most underrated musicians of all times, and his contributions to Led Zeppelin cannot be overstated despite that Page and Plant get the spotlight and the tragedy of John Bonham also overshadows him. I love the way he plays the bass - but his keyboard work on many songs (take No Quarter, for instance) is also spectacular.

Now as for tomorrow's question, the link is John Paul Jones. He played on a song by THE elder statesman of British rock and pop (he was always more pop than his counterpart in a very popular band). Since it's Christmas, I will give you an easy one and ask for this person's band as the fifth question. I am still looking for a song, album, and year from this artist as well. I would like to give you one more hint about the song - it was originally on his first solo album following the demise of his second band, and the first album after his counterpart was shot - but the album I am looking for, where John Paul Jones plays bass on the song (which is kinda ironic, given...), was also a movie soundtrack. I haven't seen the movie, and to be honest, I don't think I want to... That should do it...


No comments: