Saturday, December 17, 2016

December 17 - Shesmovedon

The song is Porcupine Tree's beautifully haunting Shesmovedon, originally on Lightbulb Sun from 2000 with Chris Maitland on drums, but rerecorded in 2004 in time to make the 2005 album Deadwing featuring the unimitable Gavin Harrison on drums. As I am writing this, I am reminded of the thought of talking about musicians I would want to play on my album, and from yesterday, Tony Levin would definitely play bass with Gavin Harrison on drums. I am growing more and more fond of his playing - he's got the jazz inspiration that really makes everything he plays very interesting. Deadwing is a great Porcupine Tree album, and I am really hoping that they do find their ways back together for another album. To me, their crowning achievement is still Fear Of A Blank Planet from 2007 - but I am confident Steven Wilson can top that while maintaining Porcupine Tree's sound rather than take it in the direction of his solo career.

Now, on Deadwing, there is a guest singer who has collaborated with Steven Wilson quite heavily. Wilson has produced music for this man's band, but the collaboration even went to the point of releasing an album that is a musical project completely different than anything either of them has done before. What is the name of that album? And what is the name of this mystery man's band? I am also looking for both a song and an album title that reflects on tradition - but the song I am looking for is not the title track. I think that should be enough. So - musical project album, band, song, album, and year. Is it clear? As mud, you say? Well, I can't give them all away either...


No comments: