Sunday, December 25, 2016

December 25 - Do They Know It's Christmas

That was it. That was the end of the advent calendar. It's been quite a journey so far - and I am kinda proud to have been genre-hopping to the extent I was. The answers from yesterday's question were as follows: Bob Geldof organized the Band Aid project in 1984. He got Midge Ure to write the song Do They Know It's Christmas with him, and he gathered a virtual who's who of British pop and rock to perform it. I loved this song when it came out, and I love it today. It is my defining pop/rock Christmas song - despite horrible lines such as "There won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time". Well, duh! Most of Africa is tropical, which generally doesn't get snow, and a significant part of Africa is south of the equator, which means that Christmas comes in the middle of summer and not the middle of winter. Of course, there is snow on Kilimanjaro year round (although the glacier is shrinking), but Africa as a whole tends to not have a lot of snow in December...

Now, let's take a look at the final score board... Unsurprisingly, the big winner is Jon Inge, and he already did his annual trek to my parents' house and has received his prize. Well, ok - it's a Christmas present, but if I can call it a prize, I will do so. It sounds better, anyway. Here is the final scoreboard:

1. Jon Inge (68 points)
2. Snorre (37 points)
3. Steffen (10 points)
4. Jan Are (5 points)

For those of you who played the game this December, thank you for playing along, and for those of you who just read it all, I appreciate that as well. Merry Christmas to you all!


No comments: