Sunday, December 18, 2016

December 18 - Folklore

So the song was Folklore from Opeth's fantastic Heritage album from 2011, and the musical project was Storm Corrosion, which is a very different project than most of the other music in my collection - but it is one I really enjoyed. Heritage was the first album where Opeth embraced a progressive sound and stripped away the cookie monster vocals - and really turned into the band they are today, two great albums later. Folklore to me has a very Scandinavian sound to it, which is present throughout the album. On one of the songs they use Bjørn J:son Lindh on flute as one of the guest musicians. This has a special significance to me, as he was the person playing the flute on the music to the radio drama Tordivelen Flyr I Skumringen - or The Scarab Flies In Twilight - written by Swedish authors Maria Gripe and Kay Pollak. It was aired in the summer of 1979 with 12 episodes, one every Saturday during Saturday Children's Hour, one of the longest running radio shows in the world, running from 1924 to 2010, only interrupted by World War 2. I loved listening to this radio program, and my favorite part was always the radio dramas - and the long summer ones were my favorite.

However, there is a second guest artist on the track featuring Bjørn J:son Lindh. This guest artist is a legendary jazz musician who played on one of the best known fusion songs ever, and I am looking for this musician and this song. The song was a tribute to a well known New York jazz club - although that might have made this too easy. So... Who is this musician, what is the band he played in that recorded this song, what is the song, what is the album, and what year was it from?


No comments: