Thursday, December 15, 2016

December 15 - Digging In The Dirt

The producer was Daniel Lanois, one of my absolute favorite producers. I have long held that if I were to record an album of my own songs, I would want Daniel Lanois to produce and Emmylou Harris to sing with me (although I probably should just let her do all the singing). I might have to revisit that idea after Christmas - that sounds like a great theme for the final few days before new years... Anyway, he produced Peter Gabriel's album Us from 1992, where the lead off single was Digging In The Dirt. It is a dark album, which might be why I like it.

It also has a lot of Gabriel's usual suspects playing on it, and one of those musicians provides a link to a truly great progressive rock band, one that is known almost as much for its long hiatuses as it is for its music. We are looking for a song from an album that has an "edible" title (I am not saying appetizing here) that reminds me of a Monty Python skit (see - now you even have to figure out my association). The album title is also the title of two songs that bookends the album - Part I and II respectively - and this band would expand into part III and IV, but in later decades and later incarnations of the band. The song I am looking for opens side 2 on the vinyl version of the album. So, to sum up, I am looking for the musician that is shared between Peter Gabriel and this progressive band, the name of the band, the song and album I am thinking about, and the year. Do you need any more hints? I didn't think so.


No comments: