Monday, December 05, 2016

December 5 - Dissident Aggressor

So I threw out a red herring in yesterday's little question. I was hoping that someone would assume I was talking about the Danish pastry drumming in Metallica, but given that Dave Lombardo from Slayer (and the only person I recognize as a legitimate Slayer drummer) was born in Havana, Cuba, I enjoyed the opportunity for subterfuge quite immensely. Slayer's version of Dissident Aggressor was released on the album South Of Heaven in 1988. Jan Are had introduced me to Slayer through their earlier albums, in particular Hell Awaits and Reign In Blood, the latter being considered one of thrash metal's absolute masterpieces, and I liked some of the songs, but I wasn't completely sold on them yet. That all changed for me when I took home South Of Heaven in the summer of 1988. I played it over and over and couldn't get quite enough. When I then revisited their earlier work, I got it. I got all of it.

I got the chance to see Slayer live in the fall of 2004. Dave Lombardo was back in the fold after having been out for quite a few years, and they played Reign In Blood in its entirety - which was pure awesomeness. However, I think the intro riff to South Of Heaven was the part that really gave me the full goosebump effect. But on the album South Of Heaven, Dissident Aggressor was another song that really blew me away - and I still think this is the version I prefer of the song.

Now for today's question, we will change genre quite dramatically. One of Slayer's members played on a single that I was convinced was a number one hit. It didn't get quite that high, it only reached in the 20s in European charts and lower than that in the US, but the album it was on did indeed get to #1. So... Who was the Slayer member, song, band, album, and year. This should be easy-peasy.


No comments: